Monday, September 27, 2004

Help for a fellow person

I was walking down the road when a guy in front of me fell down. Apparently he hit something on the road and fell down flat on his face. I thought it was real unfortunate until i finally reach him and he was not moving at all.

I shook his shoulder and asked whether he was okay or not. He was fine but sustained cuts to his elbow and his forehead. The cuts on the forehead looks bad. He told me he came down to look for a job as he was unemployed for 2 months already. He also could not afford the medical fees even if I bring him to the clinic.

Luckily, another person came by and on learning the situation, gave him some money to see the doctor. He even offered to get the doctor from a nearby clinic to come over as he seems to be unstable after sitting down again when he tried to get up. However, he refused the offer but the other kind soul walked away in the direction of the clinic. I hoped that he did go and get the doctor for him.

I felt bad abt this as I could helped him a bit financially or at least do something more for him. I was glad that another kind soul came along, as it means in a small way, there are still other kind souls around.

My hope and prayers to the stranger that it will be nothing serious and that he can find a job and sustain a living....

2 comments:

Miss Wired said...

Which country is this in?

That's a horrible story that someone can't get medical help because they have no money!

Thank goodness for the charity of others, and shame on the government!

Xaiver said...

Well, I live in Singapore and this happens in Singapore.
Singapore is not a welfare state where u can get lots of medical help.
For simple injuries and wounds, you will have to pay for it yourself.
This is to prevent over-reliance on the government by the citizens.
Anyway, he does not have have money on hand to attend to his wounds immediately. Immediate treatment for the wounds is best as after all, he fell on the road and you will never know what kind of nasty bacteria and viruses hidding there!