Sunday, April 24, 2005

Road rage

Took a cab home tonight as per usual Sunday night.

Almost experienced a road rage experience.

Was waiting for a taxi at K T Road. I saw a taxi at the T-junction turning right away from and I attempted to flag the taxi down. The taxi originally signalled right and then subsequently signalled left after seeing my attempt to flag it. It travels for about 5-10 meters at a slow speed and then its harzards lights came on and stopped for me.

At this point of time, a van suddenly overtook the stationary taxi, blasting its horn all the way. The taxi driver in retaliation, blasts its horn back for a short while. The van driver, overcame with rage, stopped his van and alighted from his van. He started scolding the taxi driver and threatened to call the police. Also, he copied down the taxi's license number with pen and paper. With this scene, I was more than prepared to call the police if he dares to hit the taxi driver.

From my view of point and subsequent talks with brother, the taxi driver did not commit any traffic offences. Due to this I agreed to back up the taxi driver as witness to the whole incident and gave my number and name to the driver. During all this, I shouted to the van driver that the taxi driver did nothing wrong and I am willing to back him up as a witness.

Haiz. Why will an ordinary person become a road bully, succumbing to road rage? Because of personal reasons, stress due to driving or?

Unfortunately, I am unable to quote any references what is road rage and punishments from the Singapore Police Force. However, if you manage to find any resources. Kindly let me know and I will link to to there.

PS : I received no news from the taxi driver nor the taxi company nor the Singapore Police. Guess it is just an empty threat or the taxi driver has forgotten where I wrote my phone number down. Hoping for the best for him

No comments: