Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Zero

Technically speaking, a direct translation will be Storey Zero. However, translation of names rarely make sense, especially for TV shows and movies.

This morning, pouring heavily, I was trying to rush my way into the mrt. On the steps to the station, I sidestepped a lady to get into the station faster. However, she did not notice that i was beside her and hit me with her wet umbrella. It was more of a brush rather than a hit. My shirt was a bit wet but I just brushed it off.

Next, as I was rushing up the escalator to catch the mrt, a lady (again) was deciding whether to rush to take the mrt. I was pissed off that she was hesitating a lot and stopped and moved. I was finally able to get into the mrt but after a near slip which I managed to slide a bit and escaped unhurt and without hitting anyone.

At this moment, I thought of angels and devils who were either asking me to slow down to prevent the near-slip or rushing me to make me fall and make a fool of myself. Guess the devils won in rushing me but the angels helped prevent my near-fall.

This bring back to the the drama serial I was mentioning in the 1st paragrah. It was a Mandarin drama serial produced by Channel U of the now-defunct SPHMediaWorks. It basically tells of a man who died but his karma is Zero (well balanced by the evil and good he had done in his life). He became an agent of Zero, a limbo world between Heaven and Hell. His mission, to influence humans to make the correct decision, as they struggle between their own angels and devils in making decisions. Hence this serial was brought to mind during the whole episode.

Now MediaWorks is shutdown, Singapore media scene is back to square 1 with a monopoly. It was always interesting to see the MediaCorp trying to replicate the newcomer's ideas and consistently using their bigger muscles (and money) to outmuscle (and outpay) them. Sadly, all the new initiatives will be gone and it will be a sad day in Singapore's media.

No comments: